Wednesday 7 January 2009

New beginnings...

Yes yes I know New Year new beginnings how cliché! However I assure you it’s quite coincidental that the beginning of the New Year (both Gregorian and Islamic) seem to correspond with another new beginning…that of my blog. Yes readers the time has come for me to move my virtual house to another URL. The reason?? Read on and all shall become clear…

The following is a series of emails exchanged between myself and someone who has something in common with this very blog ( you can find their website here ( and a rather cute website it is at that…). Obviously I changed my name into JTM , I didn’t really put that in the emails…that would be silly…

Hi Emma

i'm not sure how to begin this e-mail because i don't really know how these things are done! my name is JTM and i'm on the verge of launching my own business: selling handmade bags ( don't worry the bags are totally different to your designs!) i already have a blog and truth be told the name was inspired by your little shop in the manchester craft centre, the name of my blog being "Just a temporary measure" (.blogspot.com). I was thinking of also naming the business "just a temporary measure" when i remembered where the inspiration for the name came from...so in my own strange way i guess i'm trying to say that do you mind if i name my business "just a temporary measure" seeing as it contains your own business name?? i mean i don't think i will take it much further than an online shop and website/blog but i thought i'd ask anyway...

thanks

JTM

hello JTM

thank you for contacting me and i am so glad you liked my company enough to be inspired by it. i would have to say though that if you appreciate something then the best way to act on it is probably not by taking from it. i know that i would have been very uncomfortable if i had begun my business with the knowledge that i had used someone else's name, particularly as you must have an idea of how much the business and the concept and that particular bit of text means to me personally. i used that text because it came from the story that forms the backdrop for our company and that story is a piece of writing that i am very proud of. having begun your blog and starting out in your business you must now know how much of yourself you put on the line and put into your work. it's really up to you how you choose to act and having been in business for six years it doesn't particularly concern me, but i thought i would reply just to offer you the advice that this is perhaps not the best way to begin a venture. when you are asking people to buy into a personal brand the knowledge that every inch of your business is your own is an important one to have.

however i have to point out that the name temporary measure and also the phrase 'this was only ever just a temporary mesure' is all copyrighted by our company and is part of the temporary measure story that appears on all our work and is also copyrighted, so if we see it being used elsewhere i am afraid it is our policy to take action.

very best of wishes for the future,
emma
temporary measure

Hi Emma

I appreciate you getting back to me, and i totally understand what your saying. Your right about the whole every inch of the business being personal bit, as it didn't quite feel right to name my business just a temporary measure (no matter how much i like it), knowing that i had taken it from someone else. So i am going to change the name of the business as well as the blog, again thank you for your advice and i apologise for using your name on my blog

Best wishes JTM

hello JTM

no problem and if you ever need any help with anything or any advice with your business just let me know,

good luck with everything,
very best of wishes
emma
temporary measure


Isn’t nice how people can still solve their issues with courtesy and good old fashioned politeness? but yeh, back to the issue in hand I have to change my blog name…suggestions anyone?? That’s why I’m not blogging about the bags or anything remotely related as I am thinking of starting another blog specifically for my “business” (it feels weird calling it that…) but ones it’s up you dear readers will be the first to know J. I almost forgot to blog today I remembered at half 10 that I was supposed to blog...

5 comments:

YMiss said...

Awww as much as it saddens me that you will know longer be JTM (the badges were an inspiration) I do think you should personalise it...the buttons can stay right? As for names...how about 'Gori' :P i'll think a little longer on that one xx

Anonymous said...

Damn ymiss suggested "Gori" before me!!

Hmm, maybe try thinking of WHY you're creating these products? What inspired you to create them? What emotions were going through your mind when you were making these bags?

Do you want something completely different than JTM?

Maybe thinking of a phrase which follows Just a temporary measure...?

Or maybe someting with the same ring to it? like... er...
"A matter of inspiration"? That could be both a phrase, and the "matter" being products you will create?

The word "matter" keeps comming to mind though, dunno why. Hope this helps~ :D

Anonymous said...

Her last e-mail is so lovely! Although I love JTM its actually a really cool thing that you get to start over. Totally links to the whole new year/moving from student/scrubber to proper grown up thing.


I like 'Buttons"! Might be hard to get a blog with that though

YMiss said...

I quite like 'Buttons' whenever I see lots of them together I always think of you :) Oh and maybe the picture of your buttons from the fashion show could be your logo?

Atypical said...

Ymiss: gee i always wanted to name my blog gori (!)...oh defo the buttons are gunna stay don't worry about that...

ShuShu: ohhh have you done this before or something, i do like matter of inspiration

Mishy Moshy: yah shes really nice... i know it's going to be the end of an era i am going to miss jtm alot!