Friday 22 August 2008

TGIF: Thank God Its Friday!!

Thought I’d take a leaf out of Ymiss’s virtual book:

The car came to a slow halt, looking out of the window I saw the two of them walking up the footpath. A wave of recognition passed over me. Primary school. The older one was in the same year as me. The shorter one a year or two younger than me, he looked towards me. In what I presume was his attempt at imitating a Pakistani accent he called out “you can drive with that headdress on”. Before I could comprehend what had just happened the traffic began to flow once more, as the car began to move I tilted my head to the side in confusion. What had just happened? Moreover I was wearing a headdress? Images of Cleopatra popped into my mind, now there was a woman who could rock a headdress, me? I had a plain white hijaab on, and anyway since when did a headscarf impede my ability to drive?? Was the statement in fact a question? Was it meant as an insult? Unfortunately the silly accent masked any intonation of the voice so I couldn’t really establish the intent behind the voice. As I pushed the break down once more, I had to chuckle, I mean what was the point of making that statement, it’s not exactly insulting, he may have done it to look cool in front of his friend but I don’t recall noticing a reaction from his companion. I did have me a good chuckle indeed, it was just so random and amusing. So my first TGIF is dedicated to all those random strangers that we meet that make us smile, or think, or smile and think, or make a totally crap day into a good one. To the person who smiles at you when you most need a smile, to the guy who gets up for you on the train, to the little kid who looks so cute, to the person who picks up something that you’ve dropped and hands it back to you, the old woman who you strike up a conversation with on the bus and yes even the guy who made the aforementioned statement…whatever his intentions where he made me laugh nonethelsss… I thank you all for making me smile :D

I am also VERY grateful for the bank holiday weekend, after a week of working everyday the prospect of three days off fills me with delight every time I think about it :D

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww what alovely thing to be thankful for.

I do't get the primary school link though, did you used to go to school with them?

Anonymous said...

partner wont you update this?

Anonymous said...

COME ON WOMAN!!!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD HURRY UP!!!!

Anonymous said...

seriously?

Atypical said...

Oh Gowan then...just for you Mishy...:D